Claudio Astudillo and Chené Gómez
Duration // Timetable
Basic / Intermediate
Dates may be modified and courses may be canceled depending on the evolution of the pandemic.
The course aims to get closer to the world of retail and learn about its current situation through visual merchandising and window dressing. With a mainly practical approach and workshop activities, students will be able to get involved from an experiential and participatory point of view through different practical exercises carried out in class.
All the necessary actions to be carried out at the point of sale will be analyzed to achieve a correct implementation of the visual merchandising, both at its internal and external disposal. The different animation techniques used in the commercial space will also be analyzed. The current creative panorama of window dressing will be reviewed with an international vision, analyzing the needs, objectives, typologies, compositions, and conceptual approaches.
During the course, students will design, produce, and implement a shop window at a focal point of Elisava's facilities.
Merchandising and window dressing are currently key tools to reach the new, more experienced, demanding, and informed consumer. The merchandiser and the shop window must know how to manage the increasingly saturated and more competitive commercial spaces, through the different specialized tools to make the consumer choose us, while enhancing the brand image.
Knowing how to reach our consumer, knowing how he thinks and acts in front of the products and services that the market offers him, or positioning the brand within the market is the mission of the merchandiser and the shop window.
- Understand the different components of visual merchandising and window dressing applied to a commercial space.
- Analyze and understand the point of sale, its contents from the morphology and the concept of the exterior façade to the correct placement of the products on the interior shelf, thus studying all aspects related to the consumer and its route through commercial space.
- Define the different elements that make up the animation at the point of sale, reviewing the different aspects of sensory merchandising and the elements that make up the interior of a commercial space.
- To know the historical trajectory of window dressing as a social phenomenon, and to understand the current situation of window dressing and its objectives.
- To know the current panorama of the latest trends in window dressing.
- Design, produce and elaborate, from a brand briefing and considering the principles learned, a shop window in a real physical installation.
Retail. Branding & Education.
Visual Merchandiser / Creative Director of his own studio since 2007.
Specializing in commercial interior design and point of sale design.
Within the framework of the product, it participates in decorative and creative projects for promotional spaces, product presentations and corporate performances of the brand. He has worked for Antonio Puig's In-Store Marketing department as a visual merchandiser, both at his subsidiary in Chile and at his headquarters in Barcelona. His participation in the field of teaching began in Santiago de Chile in 1998 and he is currently collaborating with other institutions in Barcelona.
Creative Director and Artistic Educator.
Her professional career revolves around artistic education, design, and creative development. For 10 years he has been a professor of window dressing in Elisava's Master in Commercial Space Design: Retail Design and is an artistic director and educator at the NGO Creart, working on early childhood education through the art. He was a professor in the Master of Creative Architecture at the Italian Academy of Design in Florence.
He has participated in international projects such as the Maritime Museum of Trieste. He has been the Artistic Director of the Domo Gallery of Contemporary Art in New Jersey and has been a juror several times at the Parsons School of Design in New York.