Claudio Astudillo and Chené Gómez
Duration // Timetable
June, 29 - July, 10 2020 (40 hours)
From 10 a.m. to 2.15 p.m.
Basic / Intermediate
770 €. Bold members of Elisava Alumni will enjoy a 15% reduction.
The Summer School course aims to approach to the retain world and get to know its current situation through visual merchandising and window dressing. All the necessary actuations to be developed in the selling point will be analyzed in order to achieve a correct implementation of the visual merchandising, both in its internal disposition and its external one. The different animation techniques that have been used in the retail space will also be analyzed. The current creative outlook of the window dressing will be revised with an international view, analyzing its needs, objectives, typologies, compositions and conceptual approaches.
Nowadays, the merchandising and the window dressing are essential tools in order to reach the new consumer, more experienced, demanding and informed. The merchandiser, the window dresser, needs to know how to manage retail spaces, which are increasingly more swamped and more competitive, through the different specialized tools to make the consumer choose us, at the same time that the image of the brand becomes more powerful.
Knowing how to reach our consumer, recognising how he thinks and acts in front of the products and services offered by the market, or positioning the brand in the market is the mission of the merchandisers and the window dressing.
- To understand the different components of the visual merchandising and the window dressing applied to a commercial space.
- To analyze and understand the selling point, its contents from the morphology and the exterior façade concept, the correct collocation of the products in the interior lineal, studying then all the aspects related to the consumer and his itinerary towards the retail space.
- To define the different elements that form the animation in the selling point, revising the different aspects of the sensorial merchandising and the elements that form the interior of a retail space.
- To understand the historical trajectory of window dressing as a social phenomenon, and to know the current situation of the window dressing and its objectives.
- To know the current outlook of the last trends in window dressing.
- To create, design and prepare, from a brand briefing, a creative concept for the façade of the show windows and the interior of a retail space.
Structure and Contents
The daily work schedule is structured in a first theoretical part, in which the contents are studied, and in a second part, a workshop in which the learned concepts are applied in a project which is developed throughout the course.
1/ The merchandising
- History of the visual merchandising
- Trade trends
- Functions of the visual merchandiser
2/ Internal disposition of the selling point
- Actuation calendar
- Preferential location
- Plant layout
- Proximity of items
- Kinds of implementations
3/Animation in the selling point
- Sensorial Merchandising
- Implementation stages
- Areas of action
4/ The shop window and the city
- The origin of the shop window
- What prestigious brands do
- Role and objectives of the shop window
- Current situation of window dressing
- The shop window, the first impression
- The new subjectivity
5/ Creativity as a selling tool
- The artistic shop window
- Artistic installations
- Artistic referents
- Inspiration points
6/ External disposition of the selling point / General analysis
- Exterior design of the selling point
- Shop windows and its typologies
- Exterior signs
- Access and entrance
7/ Composition / Theory of composition applied to the window dressing
- Compositional weight
- Shape and outline
- Direction and movement
8/ Trip to visit and analyze selling points in the city: interiors, façades and shop windows
9/ Final presentation of the project
- Analysis of the presentation
RETAIL BRANDING & EDUCATION. Visual Merchandiser / Creative Director of his own Studio since 2007. Specialized in commercial interior design and design of shop elements. Within the framework of the product, he participates in decorative and creative projects for promotional spaces, product presentations and corporate events of the brand. He has worked for the In-Store marketing department of Antonio Puig. as a visual merchandiser, both in its Chilean subsidiary and in the headquarters in Barcelona. His participation in the field of teaching began in Santiago de Chile in 1998 and currently he collaborates with other institutions in Barcelona.
Creative Director and Arts-Educator. His professional trajectory is developed on the artistic education, the design and the creative development. He has been professor for 10 years of the Master’s Degree in Retail Space: Retail Design at ELISAVA and he is the director and educator in the ONGD Creart, working in the child’s education through art. He was a teacher in the Master’s Degree in Creative Architecture in the Accademia Italiana di Design in Florence. He has participated in international projects, such as Trieste’s Maritime Museum. He has been artistic director of the Domo Gallery (New Jersey) and, in different occasions, jury at the Parsons School of Design (New York).
Designers, architects, window dressers, businessmen and students of these subjects. In order to take advantage of the course, it is recommended to have basic knowledge of Office (PowerPoint/Word/Excel), Suite Adobe (Photoshop/Illustrator/In design) and any design programme such as Autocad/Sketchup.