Duration // Schedule
September, 7 - 10 2020 (20 hours)
From 9 a.m. to 2.15 p.m.
Beginners / Intermediate
- Alumni Bold (15% discount).
- Elisava students who have started a master in Sept19 or Feb20 (20% discount).
Nowadays, it is difficult to attract or maintain the public’s attention: costumers and followers live constant distractions, more options than ever, and marketing and advertising traditional techniques are not useful to attract them to our professional services are not useful anymore. However, there are companies, influencers, professionals, products and services that are able to maintain our attention, from Apple to small artists, because their story, and the one of their products and services mixes in our own story.
That is the basis of storytelling and this Summer School course. It is indeed about telling stories, but not in any which way: the storytelling is the art of conveying a narrative that is alive, always current, projected to the future, of what we do as professionals and about how we want the thing we do to change the story and the life of our followers, users or costumers.
The brand’s stories, from big companies, from small entrepreneurs, from artists that newly start or from network influencers, don’t depend on the characteristics or technical abilities of what we offer, but on the relation we get to initiate with our followers, and on how the things we do is going to change their lives.
The Storytelling is what creates this relationship, through shared experiences, values, beliefs and a sense of global belonging, that not only depends on the traditional advertising techniques anymore, but on a constant dialogue between followers, collaborators, costumers... The Storytelling has become an essential tool for designers, experts on marketing, publicists, architects, interior designers, engineers, computer technicians and any professional who has to design, conceptualise or sell products or services that require an interaction or emotional connection on behalf of the consumer.
We must know how to communicate our own brand story through different techniques, formats and skills in order to incorporate them into our creative and commercial processes, in order to keep telling what we are, and that our receptors turn their story into ours.
- To enable students of different backgrounds and disciplines to apply the Storytelling in an effective way in their respective fields.
- To carry out a practical exercise (workshop) so that the students can apply the knowledge acquired in the elaboration of their own personal branding using the Storytelling.
- To assimilate the main tools of the Storytelling in relation to the traditional narrative: theme, structure, topic, characters, etc., and to apply them.
- To learn how to transform data into captivating, persuasive and convincing stories that bring together the narrative, visual and emotional component.
- To strengthen the technical and creative capacities of the student to satisfy the ability demands of the Storytelling of the contemporary market.
- To deconstruct different brand stories and understand how they have been used in different communication means (TV, online, press, social networks, etc.) to expand the marketing reach.
- To learn to decode the Storytelling techniques used in different brand campaigns and communications, adapted to specific means.
Structure and Contents
1. Principles and basic processes of the Storytelling
- Story vs. Data
- Empathy and emotional connection
- Narration as persuasion
- The learning process as a transformation arc
2. Storytelling to communicate the brand
- Creation and brand values
- Insight for the emotional empathy
- Influence and motivation
- Transformation of the user/recipient
- The consumer as an agent for change
3. Storytelling Basis: narrative principles
- From the myth to the universal story line
- From the hero trip to the structure
- From the archetype to the character
4. Basic tools for the Storytelling
- Theme and mission: identification, recipient and consumer
- Characters and arc: transformation and user experience
- Modern structure: from the conflict to the objective
5. Applied Storytelling: Study case analysis
- Storytelling in brand communication, product design, advertising and graphic design, analysis and data presentation, social networks, transmedia, web design, videogames, marketing...
Practice project: during the course, the students will develop their own branding personal project at the same time, to create his own brand.
Salva Rubio is a professional storyteller. He currently has different full-length films in production and development, he is a cinematographic project analyst and he also has experience in animation screenplay. As a novelist, he has published two books with Penguin Random House and is working on the third novel. As a graphic novel scriptwriter, he is preparing different works for the Le Lonbard Franco-Belgian publishing house and, as a teacher, he has taught in schools such as the European University of Madrid, ESNE or Elisava.
Designers, publicists, marketers, PR professionals, communication professionals, architects, window dressers, interior designers, businesspeople, engineers, computer technicians, producers, product designers and students of these disciplines.
It is recommended to have basic knowledge of Office or iWork.