Duration / Schedule
July, 13-17 2020 (25 hours)
From 4.00 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Introduction / Intermediate
520 €. Bold members of Elisava Alumni will enjoy a 15% reduction.
The Summer School course suggests an immersion through the approach to a specific model of production, the one of furniture’s editing, which includes from small editing companies founded by the same designers, in a self-production model, to consolidated companies, which are a referent in the sector’s avant-garde.
To understand the editing of furniture as a complete project that introduces a particular narrative in its definition, characteristic of the differential interests of a brand or manufacturer. In this development, the product is yet another element that must be coherent with the made speech, have the ability to go beyond the project to become a tool that communicates its own values and attributes and forms an existing catalogue.
Structure and Contents
During the Summer School course, the making of a project for the company BD Barcelona Design and several master classes will be combined. The master classes will be carried out by renowned professionals within the sector and will be about focusing on those key aspects of the project’s development and on introducing the reality of the sector to the students.
Day 1 / 5h
- Course’s introduction at the company’s Showroom. / 1h
- Project, goals and methodology. / 2h
- Master class about manufacturing processes and design basic guidelines in the definition of new products. / 2h
Day 2 / 5h
- Master class, 2h/ Introduction to reference profiles in the editing and self-manufacturing.
- Project’s development, 3h/ areas and typologies of activity/ Discussion
Day 3 / 5h
- Project’s development, 5h/ Monitoring in an assembly format of the proposals.
Day 4 / 5h
- Project’s development, 5h / monitoring and development of the proposals in a shared-assembly format.
Day 5 / 5h
- Presentation of the Projects, 3-4 h
- Master class, 1-2 h / Ways and styles, an introduction to the furniture’s sector.
- Closing of the cours
He is an industrial designer and director/professor of the Master’s Degree in Furniture Design of the Elisava School. Once he finished his studies, he trained in the furniture’s sector with Carles Riart. In 1995 he worked as a freelance designer for companies of different sectors. In 1999 he founded Ricard Ferrer Barcelona, design studio in which he consolidates his initiated career.
Architect trained at the School of Barcelona (ETSAB UPC) and at the Polytechnic of Milan, she specialized in furniture design in Elisava. Since he finished his studies he has developed his professional skills in renowned architecture studies in Barcelona. He currently works at B720 Architects and combines his work in the studio with several personal projects.
He started out in the business from the kitchen of the industry. Once he finished his studies at ELISAVA he collaborated with the Department of New Product Development at BD Barcelona Design. Additionally, he developed projects for other renowned companies together with Ramon Úbeda.
Students and professionals, Product Designers, Interior Designers, Architects, Product Engineers.
Basic knowledge of 2D/3D representation.
Laptop and graphic material to work on the project and its presentation.