Studying design opens the door to a profession that has evolved with time and new technologies and is currently a very interesting option with great potential, a wide range of job possibilities and a high market demand. It is important to underline that by design degree we usually refer to a university degree.
Design degrees allow you to discover everything related to creativity and innovation, from expressing ideas to providing answers to the needs or challenges of society, as well as transmitting messages through an image that can be projected through each of our designs or graphic pieces.
In general, designers can participate in all phases of the design process. Their skills and competencies include:
- Defining a personal positioning in relation to design from a social, environmental, political, ethical and aesthetic vision.
- Designing scenarios to anticipate the needs of the future.
- Dialogue with professionals from other fields.
- Experiment with materials, processes and techniques to add value to the design project.
- Develop design projects in different work environments.
- Communicate effectively in each phase of the design project.
List of design-related careers
One of the professional careers that have more variables within their field of study, without any doubt, are university design studies. This is due to the fact that the type of knowledge and subjects that design deals with are present in many areas of our daily lives. In this sense, designers can work in a wide variety of sectors. These are some of the design-related careers that exist:
- Graphic design, editorial production and visual communication: Design of concepts and ideas that are materialised in digital, physical, audiovisual support, etc. This type of design is linked to the fields of art direction, corporate image, editorial design, web design, poster design, information design, packaging, illustration and typography.
- Industrial Design and Product Design: Product design is multidisciplinary and encompasses many areas of design. It involves creating products, starting with the initial idea and going through the different stages of design, prototyping and manufacturing process. Related fields: furniture, lighting, mobility, packaging, objects and accessories, products, systems, services and experiences.
- Industrial Design Engineering: A degree that enables the development of a creative attitude of experimentation with scientific and humanistic, relevant and innovative criteria. Related fields: Transport and mobility, consumer electronics, industry 4.0, bioengineering, food, sport, digital applications and sustainability.
- Space Design: The designer of spaces learns to develop innovative solutions committed to sustainable development in different project typologies. Related areas: Interior spaces, stand and exhibition design, public space, scenography, ephemeral assemblies and window dressing.
- Interactive Experience Design: Design linked to web, audiovisual, multimedia and digital interface design, user experience and the design of interactive products and environments.
- Education and research in design: Field of design linked to research, critical reflection and the theoretical and pedagogical development of design.
Discover our university design degrees
In this context, we believe that Elisava is a highly recommendable place to study design. In our University Degrees we understand design and engineering as instruments to question and build the social, technological, environmental and ethical dimensions of the world in which we live through creativity and critical reflection.
Specifically, in Elisava's Degree in Design and Innovation you will learn to generate ideas and overcome challenges that shape new paradigms and realities. In addition, you can specialise in a specific field of design, such as Product Design, Space Design, Interactive Experience Design or Graphic Design.
At Elisava we encourage and strengthen relationships between our alumni, design and engineering professionals, and the business and institutions linked to these fields. By studying at Elisava you will have at your fingertips a network of first-rate national and international contacts, whether for internships, to participate in real projects or to live an Erasmus experience.