Postgraduate Degree in Packaging Design and Strategy, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF).
Postgraduate in Packaging Design and Strategy
Discover the graphic design tools and branding strategies to be able to structurally create and design an integral packaging project from its form to its communication.
Sep 2019 to Feb 2020
Mo, We, Th, 5:00-9:15 p.m.
How can we take advantage of the packaging as an opportunity to add meaning to a product? In the Postgraduate Degree in Packaging Design and Strategy you will learn to communicate the attributes of a product through its packaging.
In a market in continuous expansion, packaging requires professionals with the ability to communicate, both formally and graphically, the attributes of a product. Designing a package today means contributing to the market products that seduce for their communication language and products that are thought with social awareness and environmental responsibility. .
The programme focuses on both graphic design and packaging structural design, not from a technical point of view, but from its form and communication. It offers a unique opportunity to work alongside the most recognized packaging designers in each sector and learn their work methodology to achieve an optimal and professional result.
The final objective is to provide the participants, through practical workshops and theoretical capsules, with the necessary knowledge to create and develop a product from the point of view of strategy and branding, detect the client’s needs and propose the solution, design and execution of any packaging project.
An amount between 18 and 24 lesson hours of practical workshops in which packaging projects will be carried out and guided by industry experts. Each workshop helps the student with the resolution of a case leaning on their usual work method.
- Unconventional packaging. Conceptualization and design of the experience
- Packaging redesign
- Communication and consumer packaging
- Branding and consumer packaging
- Package of cosmetics and fragrances
- Wine packaging
- Gourmet packaging. Art direction and food photography
Introduction to packaging, history and present time
Theoretical classes that can be accompanied by small research and analysis exercises.
- Cultural and social origins of packaging.
- Aesthetics and trend analysis.
- Brand typologies and registration.
- Legislation in packaging.
Design and presentation tools
Theoretical/practical classes that are complemented by exercises to experiment and consolidate the contents taught.
- Creative writing: naming and storytelling.
- Introduction to the concepts of: calligraphy, lettering and typography.
- Microtype and labeling workshop.
- Public presentation techniques.
Branding in the packaging environment
Theoretical classes that introduce concepts and contents applied throughout the different design workshops.
- Introduction to the world of planner and planning.
- Strategic process and creation of brand identity.
- Brand architecture: building models of a brand.
- Construction of the brands in background and form. Brand's Vision and Mission.
- Creation of the 360º brand experience.
- Delve into the discipline of packaging, its history and new trends, and know how society and consumers influence packaging solutions.
- Provide the students with the necessary theoretical/practical instruments to carry out and present a packaging project: naming creation, lettering and applied typography, art direction and presentation techniques.
- Know the lines that strategists and designers follow to achieve a successful product, acquire a solid theoretical branding base and know how a product is created and developed from the point of view of marketing.
- Put into practice the knowledge acquired through the analysis, planning, design and execution of packaging projects. Detect the client’s needs and create a packaging that responds to the different sectors’ demands. Learn to create more efficient and sustainable packaging that promotes the good design and optimal use of materials.
- To provide the student with specific knowledge in the materials used by the packaging industry: packaging creation systems, prepress and printing, quality controls and identify the different existing types of packaging and their possibilities.
- Know the factors that determine the production and selection of a packaging for a specific product and the role that the selection of a certain type of packaging can play in a product.
- Ability to develop a comprehensive packaging project, both graphic and structural, in all its phases:
- Initial phase: Basic notions about branding and strategy. Generation of the initial project approach briefing
- Brand development phase: Naming generation and brand creation. Ability to structure a packaging architecture.
- Packaging design phase: Command of the design projects formalisation, both graphically and structurally, applied to different sectors or needs:
- FMCG packaging
- Cosmetic packaging (healthcare)
- Gourmet-food packaging
- Redesign packaging
- Wine packaging
- Packaging to take-away
- Luxury products packaging
- E-commerce packaging
- Creations of mock-ups and final artworks phase: Basic concepts for the development of mock-ups in volume (foam) and cardboard. Basic notions to carry out the final artworks development for reproduction.
- Development of complementary tools to a packaging project. Strategic tools such as branding, marketing and neuromarketing; design tools, such as microtypography and typographic composition; or general tools such as aesthetics, packaging history...
- Development of technical knowledge regarding materials, printing systems and sustainability criteria.
- Command of the language needed to present a project and to communicate with the different agents involved in the process.
Vivifica —Regenerative Tonic
Vivifica —Regenerative Tonic