Postgraduate Diploma in Innovating through Brands, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and Elisava.
Jordi Belil, Mercedes Espinós
Feb 2020 to Jul 2020
Mo, Tu and Th, 5:00-9.15 p.m.
What is the power of a brand in the 21st century? How can we build solid brands in a changing society like the current one?
Every company or institution that offers a product or service has a brand with which it operates in its environment. The dimension of this brand and its projection can be variable but, in any case, the global management of the brand is a key factor of success in an increasingly globalized and competitive environment.
At a time when the quality of products and services and their costs are not enough reason for differentiation, branding becomes a key element, both of companies and institutions, in the development of a powerful strategy to distinguish itself. The main objectives of a brand are to obtain recognition and position itself. Whether from the public sector or from the private sector, properly managing a brand is essential for those who want to grow and acquire solidity, but also for those who, from a more solid position, seek to maintain leadership in their sector.
Branding refers to the complex process of building the brand through the strategic disposition of a set of assets directly or indirectly linked to the commitment, identity and experience of an organization.
Branding can act as a catalyst, a facilitator, and an essential part of the innovation process of companies and products.
The programme’s structure focuses on four main aspects, which are:
1. Concepts, visions and methodologies about innovation
- Different professionals from diverse organizations, will provide their particular vision on innovation and will explain different methodologies for developing innovation processes.
- Definitions put forward at various times on the innovation concept.
- Entrepreneurship and business opportunities evaluation.
- Strategic brand requirements and solutions provided by branding in innovative contexts.
- New products and added-value services.
- Experiences of a unique, differentiated and consistent brand.
- Rational and emotional, sound and long-lasting connections.
2. Research elements in innovation contexts
- Brand requirements in constant innovation processes.
- Innovation and research instruments from a market perspective.
- Tools to discover and detect consumer requirements, preferences and perceptions.
3. Expression and Media
- What new concepts, expressive tools, channels and media, allow the development of innovative perceptions.
- How IT and their expansion affect the branding processes, and how the communication strategies environment of traditional brands is modified.
- Conceptual alternatives like Movements creation, Communication Vectors, Transmedia or Marketing online and alternative channels, such as the development of apps, mobile marketing or Digital signage.
4. The Reality: Business cases
- Several specific cases of innovations in various market sectors.
- Startups in different development stages.
5. Innovation Branding Project
Cross-cutting Innovation Branding project to put the knowledge acquired into practice. This course offers an overview of how brands are created and managed and the innovation opportunities they represent.
- Achieve a global and strategic view of the branding world based on real business cases from different sectors, introduced by their own authors and/or the same companies.
- Provide the theoretical and conceptual instruments to be able to develop a complete brand building process and innovation through branding.
- Put into practice the knowledge acquired through the approach and the development of specific micro projects and a global project of innovation through branding.
- Have resources to know the complexity and the environment in which a product or service operates in order to carry out a strategic project that allows to implement the design of a brand.
The students participating in this program will develop their analytical, strategic and creative thinking skills, as well as the practical skills of the complete brand creation process: strategy, identity and brand experience. They will learn:
- The most current concepts on brand creation and brand management.
- The processes and the keys to develop a brand strategy: Brand personality, values and positioning.
- The processes and the keys to develop a Brand Identity in accordance with the Brand Strategy: Naming, Visual Identity, Sensory Identity.
- The processes and the keys to develop a complete and global Brand Experience in accordance with the Brand Strategy.
- The keys for the branding professional, in the different roles, responsibilities and collaborations that he can play in the brand creation and management process.