Postgraduate Degree in Design of Bars and Restaurants,degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF).
Postgraduate in Design of Bars and Restaurants
Specialize in the area of gastronomic restoration of the interior design and create proposals that contribute to the perception of a unique experience for the user, based on a consolidated knowledge of the interior design industry.
NEW START DATE: 09/10/2020
Oct 2020 to Mar 2021
Mo, Tu, Th, 5:00-9:15 p.m.
Oct 2020: €5,270 (+€450 registration fee)
The interior design of restaurants is not an easy speciality. For its special features, based on the close relationship between production and consumption aiming to achieve the well-being of the consumer and the perception of a unique experience, the restaurant business requires a specific training, and it justifies this teaching proposal.
The Postgraduate in Design of Bars and Restaurants is a specialized course aimed to teach interior design professionals in relation with gastronomy, and it deals with the special casuistry of this dynamic and booming sector. It trains people to provide answers and to make proposals to different clients, betting on a tangible and intangible plus to business expectation, from students’ solid knowledge about this sector.
This subspecialisation of interior design is a new teaching proposal, and it is motivated by the real situation of the interior design sector, which is becoming more and more diversified and exigent.
This Postgraduate course innovates the current teaching dynamics, and adds disciplinary didactics in design, given that the project maker is generally involved in solving the needs of both promoter client, and, possibly (sometimes simultaneously), the local’s chef or barman. It is then necessary to have a capacity which includes the perspective of the hostelry sector, a sector that will functionally command the premises.
This approach was practically irrelevant until quite recently; bars and restaurants were generally designed according to the creative taste of the project-maker, who didn’t get involved in service places such as the kitchen. Nowadays the designer has to participate in all the space integrally, and he/she also has to take part in an interdisciplinary work team that begins with the representative of the product offered. It is not about losing freedom, but also about dealing with it, according to the inputs of the manager, and to extend and improve the functional and formal results for the final client.
The Postgraduate in Design of Bars and Restaurants is also an excellent complement for any interior designer or interior architect, not only will he/she work in the restaurant business, but this designer should also be capable to apply the acquired knowledge in kitchens and dining-rooms of family homes. Many of the aspects mentioned are transportable from the restaurant business to the domestic field. In fact, restaurants and bars are the extension of a public area of our most private dreams, and alternative domestic areas; aren’t they?
The Postgraduate Diploma in Design of Bars and Restaurants is structured in the following modules:
Module 1. Ephemeral design. Pop-up bar
- Teamwork: Design of a pop-up bar for ephemeral uses in a given place.
Module 2. Narrative design. Bar
Narrative of the interior space
Basic notions about the birth of restaurants and bars, and their evolution until nowadays. Specific analysis of bars and restaurants in Barcelona / Catalonia / Spain since the 1980s as a unique phenomenon.
- Individual work: The bar as a joint in literature, painting and cinema. Integral recognition of a model and generation of an image as a synthetic expression of a bar story. It includes constructive details of the bar section.
The evaluation of this module will depend on the individual work.
Module 3. Concept Design. Gastronomy space
Analysis of the assignment. Relationship with the client, the type of business. The main interlocutor: the chef, the bartender. Analysis of the area, type of product, type of food, economic level, type of operation, capacity and space. Competition, innovation opportunities. Applicable applicable legislation.
- Search for a motif (Concept History) that will cover the project in all its facets. Inspiring motives, brainstorming, theming. Environmental perspective, applied ecodesign. Testing the concept in the spatial organization of the restaurant.
- Teamwork. Design exercise: Proposal of an innovative restaurant model, based on the concept, in a given place.
The evaluation of this module depend on the deliveries of team work.
Module 4. Final project. Restaurant
4.1. Technical requirements
- Analysis and development of the different parts of a restoration project. Distribution of the plant, accessibility, customer flows, service and merchandise. Zoning: dining room, kitchen area, office, changing room, box and service areas, toilets, storage, garbage, etc.
- Incorporation of installations. Electrical installation. Plumbing installation. Installation of gas. Sanitation and scrapping. Extraction of smoke. Air conditioning and air renewal. Musical installation Installation of service places. Chambers Alarm. Domotics Maintenance forecast.
Follow-up of the construction and decisions in situ. Work details, modifications. End of work. Later improvements of use.
The evaluation of this module will be integrated in the evaluation of the final Project.
4.2. Furniture and equipment. Contract channel
- Choice of contract furniture and personalization. Design of own furniture.
Equipment and decoration
FF&E (Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment). Choice and integration of luminaires in the lighting project. Selection or integration of the wall and elements of the table.
Decoration elements. Assignment or selection and integration of artistic works. Integration of signage.
- The evaluation of this module will be weighted between the individual work proposed and the application of its contents in the final project. The teachers of the module will complement the tutorials of the project.
- Most common current typologies. Recent international trends. Schematic map of the industry.
- Review of the recent editions of the Restaurant & Bar Design Awards. The evaluation of this module will be integrated in the evaluation of the final Project.
Students will be asked to develop a restoration project in a real Barcelona location. Students will be assigned a specific gastronomic typology to develop their project: author's restaurant (creative cuisine), homemade Catalan restaurant or quality ecological fast-food chain restaurant. The place will have to be resolved in its entirety. The project will be elaborated on the basis of the notions taught in modules 1 to 4 to interrelate the teaching progress with the praxis of the assignment.
- This course aims to train professionals in design for the restaurant sector in its broadest sense.
- To achieve a fruitful interaction between professionals and other actors participating in the gastronomic business.
- To understand the promoters’ needs, and the staff’s dynamics (cookers, barmen, waiters, restaurant staff, etc.) and, of course, the client’s wishes.
- To achieve a creative formation in order to fulfil the assignments from a solid conceptual perspective that has a thread with the following technical development of the project.
- To provide wide knowledge in kitchen’s technical sector, as well as in canal Contract, building elements, furniture and lights specialised in dining rooms and bar zones.
- To acquire basic knowledge and criteria about technical system and installations involved in this kind of equipments: air conditioning, smoke evacuation, fire prevention and other services, paying special attention to light, soundproofing and acoustic control.
- To know how to solve new interior projects, for instance, those consisting in a global or partial redesign of the establishment. The ratio of remodelling new kind of establishments is usually high (every 10 years), both when they still work well -to achieve optimizations and maintenances- and when they are redesigned and they look for new formulas for success.
- To deeply understand the casuistry of the restaurant sector in all its modalities: restaurants in different categories –from luxury to daily menu establishments-, dining rooms, different kinds of bars, fast-food, bar counters, food corners, fast-food courts, food markets, tasting stores, snacks bar, permanent or mobile establishments, terraces, etc. This course carries out an analysis not only from the point of view of the architectonical and design requirements, but also from a functional point of view (cookers, head waiters) and from property, according to the different kinds of use selected.
- To acquire first-hand knowledge about different gastronomic projects, with real life experiences that study all factors implied. To establish the confidence in the project capacity, analyzing real situations and simulating a true project down to the smallest detail.
- To become familiar with a real project and to be capable of carrying it out in all contexts and countries, from the comprehension of the tense relationship between local and global things.
- Ability to generate innovative and creative proposals within the scope of the programme.
- Analysing skills in order to do documentary research on the specific field of this study programme.
- Understanding of the business casuistry of the sector at the present time.
- Ability to assess a professional order of the sector in any of its typologies and recognize the real needs of the client.
- Command of the entire creative process from the conceptualization to the execution of the project and its perceptive maintenance.
- Resolve the integration of all the technical facilities and equipment that converge in the project.
- Control of the various disciplines involved, such as furniture, applied graphics, lighting, etc.
- Good resolution in the public expression of ideas and own projects.
- Knowledge of the work and execution phases of a professional project in the corporate interior design field.
- Command of the relationship with the agents involved in the project.
- Aptitude for teamwork.