Master’s Degree in Editorial Design, title awarded by the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF).
Master’s Degree in Editorial Design
The field of editorial design has expanded drastically. The role of the designer has evolved from creator to producer and has many processes to handle, and each process becomes an opportunity.
NEW START DATE: 9/10/2020
Oct 2020 to Jul 2021
Th, We and Th, 5:00-9:15 pm. Workshops are held from Monday to Friday.
How can designers navigate between print, digital and content? In the Master’s Degree in Editorial Design you will explore the possibilities of editorial experiences beyond the format.
The field of editorial design has experienced a drastic expansion. The role of the designer has evolved from creator to producer, and they increasingly handle processes directly, and each process becomes an opportunity.
Some people say print is dead, and the future will be strictly digital. The reality of it, however, is much more complex and slippery. As opposed to furthering the disappearance of traditional formats, emerging practices harmonize with them and empowers them, offering the user a more dynamic and transversal experience.
This situation offers great challenges and opportunities for designers who work in Specialization editorial design. The role of these professionals goes beyond the traditional; they have become content strategists and storytellers, relying on an in-depth knowledge of technology. Their goal is to forge a connection between content, context and formats.
In Master’s Degree in Editorial Design you will gain new perspectives from international experts in the field of editorial design. Together, we will explore this new paradigm through projects, workshops and lectures. Not only will you discover responses to today’s challenges; you will learn how to approach the challenges of the future.
The Master combines research, creativity and imagination toward the creation of editorial products. The programme is open to curious, dynamic and proactive students who want to explore the complex relationship between design and content and the symbiosis between print and digital.
The practice of design needs decisive professionals with a mind of their own and a broad perspective on contemporary design. We want our Master’s Degree in Editorial Design to prepare students to meet those requirements through active experimentation and practical learning, with the support of quality professionals.
Students will work on three projects – a book, a magazine, and a digital platform – which they will develop in all aspects. Professors will collaborate in the process and encourage students to dig deeper, to go into detail without losing sight of the big picture, through a balanced combination of thinking, planning and action. Beyond addressing technical aspects, the Master’s Degree in Editorial Design accompanies students in the pursuit of personal and professional development.
- Teamwork: Design today is practiced collectively, and we want this transformation to be reflected in our Master’s programme. Working smart and effectively to produce quality implies contrasting, collaborating and sharing. Therefore, during the course, each student will form a team with one other student in the pursuit of a meaningful and fruitful collaboration.
- Practice makes perfect: The Master's course is based on an eminently practical perspective: experience offers us most of the keys to design.
- Close to the reality:The Master’s Degree in Editorial Design is intended to orchestrate a fluid transition between the academic and professional worlds. We want students to develop the best parts of themselves, to fuel their motivation and generate a working environment that closely mirrors the professional world.
- Students and professors: a collaboration: The programme faculty includes prestigious design professionals who play an active role in student development. Their experience and knowledge will serve as the source of constant advice in the search for solutions, to guide students in making their own decisions and developing their own perspectives
The Master’s Degree in Editorial Design deals with the practice of editorial design from multiple perspectives and through different formats. Editorial designers need to have the capacity to adapt to a changing industry and to play increasingly different roles.
The entire programme in detail at med.elisava.net
The course is structured around different projects and teaching formats:
- Team formation: Before beginning work on the content of the programme, students will have some time to get to know each other through practical exercises. This is the initial phase in choosing a different partner for each project. The aim is to provide students with techniques and tools for collaboration and joint creation, which they will use throughout the year.
- Master’s projects: Applying the dynamics of problem-solving, a necessary tool in the professional field, students will develop three projects throughout the course which will lead them to delve into the three fundamental areas of editorial design: a book, a magazine and a digital platform. Students will work with a different partner for each project to emphasise the importance of teamwork and uncovering complementary talents.
- Art direction: Through quarterly projects students will explore the creative potential of collaborating with creative professionals in the publishing field such as photographers and ilustrators.
- Typography: Seeking excellence in typographic choice and execution is key to editorial design. The aim is for students to develop their own criteria and typographic use, adapted to the conceptual, functional, technical and aesthetic characteristics of each editorial project. Consolidate typographic knowledge and stimulate the critical capacity to select and apply typography in order to be more autonomous in this field.
- Writing, Graphic Production and Editing: They provide students with a series of essential skills for the editorial designer and, at the same time, allow them to improve their three Master's Projects from different points of view, whether it be the writing of written content, the definition of an aspect of production or the detail of orthotypographic editing.
- Workshops: Workshops help complement and deepen knowledge of other competences and disciplines of editorial design. They take the form of meetings with specialists and recognized professionals. They are usually scheduled from Monday to Friday.
- Showcases and case studies: Regularly, we organize meetings with local designers, which allow us to share experiences and knowledge. They provide exposure to new points of view, reflections and references that enrich our perspectives on the exercise of the profession.
- International lectures: We invite prestigious international designers to give lectures, helping students to learn first-hand about experiences, projects and case studies in different fields of editorial design.
Studying Editorial Design
Expand your perspective
The Master’s Degree in Editorial Design is intended to be the beginning of something new, not an inevitable step in your career. We want this course to prepare you to find your own professional path. As such, we will encourage you to foster your independence and nurture your talent as you explore the different disciplines of editorial design.
Discover your potential
Learn to connect different ideas and perspectives to expand the possibilities in your future. We offer you the tools and the experience you need to design, develop strategies, generate content, or manage the creative process.
Build an excellent portfolio
The projects that you will complete during the course will give you the knowledge and skills necessary to create an excellent portfolio – the key to making the transition into the professional world.
Have a unique experience
The combination of projects, workshops, showcases, conferences and tutorials make this Master a great opportunity to build your knowledge and broaden your experience.
Live in a city awash with design
Barcelona is awash with design, culture, gastronomy and events of all kinds; it’s the ideal setting for learning and fun. Barcelona is inspiring, and your stay is sure to be an unforgettable experience.
Be part of a multicultural and enriching environment
Our students come from all over the world and create a vibrant cultural atmosphere where the exchange of ideas, points of view and cultures takes place in a natural way.
Two editions of the Master’s course are held each academic year, one in Spanish and one in English.
MED, Master in Editorial Design is the English edition.
MDE, Master en Diseño Editorial is the Spanish edition.
Number of Students
A maximum of 20 students will be selected for each edition of the Master in Editorial Design. Once the registration period is open, there is a rolling candidate selection process as preregistrations become effective.
Who can apply
Preferably students with a degree in graphic design and professional practitioners with experience. Exceptionally, depending on their portfolios and accomplishments, graduates in fine arts, communication and advertising will be accepted. Applicants must be proactive and proficient in the use of design software.
One edition in Spanish (MDE) and one edition in English (MED). In both editions, most workshops use English as the language of communication, with support in Spanish when necessary. Almost all lectures, and some showcases or case studies, are in English.
In the interest of continuous improvement to the programme and the professional qualifications of our teachers, we reserve the right to make changes to the content and faculty of the Master’s programme.
La Naturaleza del Conflicto
La Naturaleza del Conflicto