Master's Degree in Design for Emergent Futures, degree awarded by the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC) and Elisava.
Master's Degree in Design for Emergent Futures
This programme focuses on design of interventions in the form of products, platforms and deployments that aim to produce new emergent futures by previously analyzing the current challenges in society and industry.
Tomás Díez and Oscar Tomico
Oct 2021 to Jun 2022
Do you want to take the design one step further by turning your innovative ideas into great solutions? In the Master's Degree in Design for Emerging Futures you will learn to combine high technology, design thinking and creativity for the future.
The Master's Degree in Design for Emergent Futures (MDEF) is organised by Elisava and the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia, in collaboration with the Fab Academy.
The aim of this Master's Degree is to provide the strategic vision and tools for designers, sociologists, economists and computer scientists, to become agents of change in multiple professional environments. The programme focus is in the design of interventions in the form of products, platforms and deployments that aim to produce new emergent futures, by previously analysing the current challenges in society and industry.
Students are encouraged to work at multiple scales (from bits to geography) in order to design and test interventions in the real world. The theoretical and practical content in this programme proposes an exploratory journey to comprehend and critique the role of disruptive technologies in the transformation of our current societies: digital fabrication, blockchain, synthetic biology, Artificial Intelligence, among others. At the same time, during the MDEF students will develop a hybrid profile that mixes various sets of skills (technical and human) that will be applied in the implementation of projects.
The Master's Degree in Design for Emergent Futures is recommended for designers, sociologists, computer scientists, economists, anthropologists, technology entrepreneurs and changemakers who are looking for a hybrid career path to conceive and produce impactful ideas to transform the world. This Master has a high component of hands-on learning and project-based learning where students will be requested to transform big ideas into design strategies, prototypes and interventions to be tested in the real world, focused on Barcelona but connected globally with other cities.
Candidates for this Master's Degree are professionals coming from Industrial Design, Product Design, Urban Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Computer Science, Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Product, Material), Sociology, Anthropology, Economy, and other related professions.
- To generate a new breed of ‘changemakers’ professionals in transdisciplinary fields combining high-tech, digital know-how and sustainable design strategies.
- To train professionals on new creative ways of using disruptive technologies to transform the industry.
- To prepare professionals to challenge the current productive model through emergent technological advances (digital fabrication, synthetic biology, artificial intelligence, blockchain, etc) and circular economy solutions.
- To train professionals in the development of projects with social, environmental and technological concerns.
- Be able to understand, develop, prototype and test new ideas on how design and technology are able to generate different outputs in any given reality.
- Acquire strong skills in the field of digital fabrication, synthetic biology, artificial intelligence, distributed ledger technologies and computer science.
- Be able to design and adopt new strategies to curb climate change in the product life cycle, design to accelerate economic transformation through a systems thinking approach and for social impact at the local scale through small interventions and sustainable initiatives.
- Be able to translate ideas into prototypes, and prototypes into products, which can be tested and iterated throughout the design process and be positioned within the market or design sector.
- Be able to recognize the potential of new business models associated to circular economy, self-sufficient paradigms and emergent technologies.
Management and teaching staff