Master's Degree in Research for Design and Innovation.
Awarded by UVic-UCC.
Master in Research for Design and Innovation
Combines trend research with methodologies such as the Design thinking. Transform society and industry through qualitative and ethnographic research, interdisciplinarity and innovation.
Master's Degree in Research for Design and Innovation.
Two field trips of five days length. Travelling expenses are not included.
September to July
February to February
How can we know the changing and fluent needs of today's society? How can we improve the quality of life through design and innovation? What is a research design?
The master combines two very powerful disciplines in the innovation process: trend research and agile methodologies such as service design and design thinking. The programme is focused on providing the current tools related to qualitative and ethnographic research, interdisciplinarity and innovation, aimed at transformation processes applicable to society and industry.
To Study Research for Design and Innovation
At the Master in Research for Design and Innovation we understand innovation as a design process for the change and transformation of organizations, systems, companies, users and citizens, in order to improve the future of humanity.
The Master in Research for Design and Innovation is a strategic and transversal innovation programme that, through experimental research design and the design of strategies that combine products, services, experiences and organisational systems, seeks the solution for social or business problems. We rethink old schemes, and we are committed to creating and prototyping new models, based on exhaustive human-centered research.
During this master in design, we develop projects in three main areas: Corporate Innovation, Innovation for SMEs and Social Innovation in association with DesignThinkers Group Spain, Dismanage Collective and La Factoría, always working in teams and real projects for organizations such as Doctors without Borders, Hewlett Packard, Cisco, Accenture, Telefónica, Cirque du Soleil, Nike, Barcelona City Council, Government of Argentina, and Steelcase, as well as local organizations, SMEs and startups.
At the Master in Research for Design and Innovation we collaborate with multiple groups, institutions and universities at a global level, within the industry of innovation such as the University of Lisbon, Rotterdam Business School, University of Munich, Thammasat Design Center, Bangkok, among others, to strengthen networks, activities and projects.
In each edition we explore, with two field trips to European cities, trends, visits to companies, projects and user opinions, achieving a wide spectrum of concepts regarding innovation and different types of research design.
- Train researchers with the ability to create and participate in innovation and development processes.
- Offer professionals not linked to design tools that complement their training in scientific, technical and humanistic fields, to enhance their professional profile and opportunities.
- Offer professionals linked to design a space for interaction with other agents of innovation processes in order to work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Addressing innovation in a broad sense, including its technological, social, creative, productive and business plans aspects.
- Encourage the creation of spaces and events of exchange and collaboration between all the agents linked to innovation processes, service design and strategy scenarios.
- Facilitate the exploration of new services, systems, products, strategies and experiences for organizations, companies and governments through real projects linked to innovation.
- Online and offline research methodologies and tools management, and fieldwork.
- Knowledge of trend analysis.
- Empathy and creative thinking.
- Viability in innovation projects, development of plans and innovation strategies.
- Consulting in innovation, design of services, design thinking, systems thinking and agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of team management, account management and project management.
- Public speaking ability.
- Focused on field work and direct application in European cities of quantitative, qualitative and data research methods and tools for people-centered design applied to the research project.
- Oriented to the development of soft skills such as customer management, team management, project management and project formulation, public speaking and facilitation, among others.
Trends & Scenarios research project
- Developed by each team for a real client that brings an innovation challenge based on research. It is mentored by programme professors and developed during workshops and immersions.
Qualitative Research Methodologies
- Methods and tools from sociology, anthropology, market research, semantics and semiotics as well as culture and society studies.
Critical Essays I
- On current articles and books on the topics of context analysis, scenarios, futures and trend projection.
Methodology for Trend and Futures Studies
- Methodology developed by the programme that guides students step by step in the development of the research project and trend analysis for the formulation of opportunity scenarios and futures.
Introduction and context
An overview of the Design Thinking world, the methods used and the key concepts. Making up work teams and project brief.
DT central workshop
- This is the collaborative venue where work teams pose, develop and apply the innovation proposals resulting from their research. Debate and experimentation space.
Thematic seminars and forums
- With professors, tutors and guest lecturers who offer technical and academic support to the work done in the central workshop and other workshops.
- Focused on specific areas of Design Thinking processes, they help students to develop their skills in designing services, experiences, prototypes, tests and co-creation activities.
- These workshops are hosted by guest lecturers, groups and practitioners in the innovation sector.
- They help students to understand the networks among innovation, production and business, from the client’s point of view.
Introduction to Design Thinking
- Allows students to connect research skills with collaborative and innovative thought philosophies.
- A project on research design tutored by the programme teaching staff and by the managers of the firms associated with the Master in Research for Design and Innovation.
Daniela Marzavan · Managing Director Marzavan Innovation, Germany
Nelson Pinheiro · Director of Cultural Studies programme, Facultad de Letras Universidad de Lisboa
Josep Maria Monguet · Professor and Researcher Universidad Politécnica de Catalunya
Kirsten van Damme · Managing Partner Out of Office, Denmark
Massimo Ingegno · Director Thammasat Design Center, Bangkok
Manuel Grassler · Managing Partner VISIONENBAUEN - Innovations- und Organisationsberatung, Austria
Carla Montane · Sociologist and Researcher, Barcelona
Victor Gil · Managing Director Nethodology
Find out the rest of the Masters and Postgraduates Executive.