Master in Artificial Intelligence, how to choose the best one?
Artificial intelligence is completely integrated into our daily lives already. When we shop online, search the Internet, order a taxi or food delivery, move from one place to another, or enjoy music and films, we are probably using artificial intelligence. Also, when using personal assistants such as Apple’s Siri or Amazon’s Alexa, or when seeing predictive text while typing a query on Google.
We understand artificial intelligence as the ability that a machine has to present characteristic capacities from human beings, such as reasoning, learning, creativity, and planning capacity.
Artificial intelligence allows technological systems to perceive their environment, interact with it and solve problems. In that sense, artificial intelligence systems engage or receive data, process it, and answer to it. They are also able, to a certain extent, to analyze the effects of previous actions, adapt their behavior, and work autonomously.
The main qualities of artificial intelligence are:
- Intentionality: artificial intelligence algorithms are designed to make decisions, often using data in real-time.
- Intelligence: Automatic learning collects data (digital information, satellite imagery, visual information, non-structured text or data) and searches for underlying trends.
- Adaptability: Artificial intelligence systems have the capacity to learn and adapt as they make decisions.
Artificial Intelligence has multiple applications in different fields, among them design: it is transforming how professionals from this area work and it is allowing the creation of more efficient, personalized, and creative designs. Currently, it is used, for instance, to generate:
- Visual content: high-quality images, illustrations, and graphic designs that can be used in websites, social media, and advertising.
- Logo design: design tools based on AI can help companies create personalized logos in a fast and efficient way.
- Product design: AI can help in the design of industrial and consumer products to improve their efficiency and aesthetic appeal.
- Interior design: AI applications can suggest interior designs, color combinations, and furniture distributions adapted to each client.
- Fashion design: AI is used in the fashion industry to predict trends, generate designs, recommend combinations, and personalize clothes.
- Web design: AI can help designers create visually attractive and optimized websites for the user’s experience.
- User interface (UI) design: AI can improve the usability of the interface through personalization and adaptation of the interface regarding the users’ needs and preferences.
- Generative design: AI can generate creative and unique designs from specific parameters, an especially useful option in the fields of architecture, product design, and graphic design.
- Photo and video edition: automatization of tasks such as photo retouching, deleting unwanted objects, and improving the video quality.
- Typography design: AI can help designers create personalized and unique typographies in a more efficient way.
- Exterior design: AI can help landscape architects and garden or open space designers to plan and design more effectively.
- Creation of generative art: Artists can use AI to create generative art pieces and collaborate with machines to generate unique artistic pieces.
Over the last ten years, some of the most important companies around the world have focused their work on incorporating these capacities to their products and services.
One of the most popular types of artificial intelligence is generative artificial intelligence, in other words, artificial intelligence based in models or algorithms that create completely new content, such as text, pictures, videos, code, audio, art, data or 3D representations, identifying patterns in the enormous quantity of data with which they have been trained. The aim of generative AI is to create content, in contrast to other forms of AI, that can be used for other purposes, such as analyzing data or helping to control an autonomous car.
Generative artificial intelligence has grown and been accepted more rapidly than any other new technology. This type of artificial intelligence emerged by the end of 2022, when the technologic north American company OpenAI launched Dall-E, an image generator, and ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence chatbot that anyone can use to create art or texts.
ChatGPT is a better behaved and more accessible chatbot than what most users had experimented since then, which explains the massive increase of its public use. The peak of generative artificial intelligence is also due to recent investments and progress in this kind of technology, fact that led to better quality tools that allow, for instance, creating realistic images from text indications or writing poems or essays similar to those that human beings can produce.
Currently, artificial intelligence has focused on providing punctual solutions to specific problems, but in the following years it will expand to other areas, changing the way we live and work, and transforming a series of industries as they incorporate it. Taking this into account, it is crucial for professionals and companies to reflect about how the implementation of these systems can affect their daily life, anticipating possible competitors or new initiatives that want to make the most of the infinite possibilities that a constantly changing sector can bring.
In this context, the Master in Human Interaction and AI allows to explore different aspects of creation, design and use of this technology, also making it coherent with human values and social responsibility, and always looking towards the future to foresee possible future scenarios.
This master will provide you with the required knowledge to understand new business needs, social responsibility and human needs regarding artificial intelligence.
Design with artificial intelligence is linked to many intrinsic aspects of our society. The Master in Design for Responsible AI addresses topics related to creative investigation, context analysis, critic thinking, and strategic decision making in areas such as sustainability, ethics, media and social justice.
This master aims to train future specialists in responsible IA design, a rising area that understands artificial intelligence as a sociotechnical system from which is necessary to study its impact in society and the planet.
There is a growing necessity in public and private sectors of designers and other creative professionals who are capable to adopt a critical attitude in design. The increase of digital literacy in citizens and the optimal use of this technology to address the environmental emergency, and making viable ONU’s Sustainable Development Goals for 2030 are some of the aims the master.
Are you thinking of pursuing a career on artificial intelligence? If you are looking for a place to study a master in AI, Elisava is the best option. During more than sixty years of career path, the Barcelona School of Design and Engineering has been known for its design conception and industrial design engineering as a resource to transform the world through innovation and critical reflection.
Elisava has always stood out for the experimentation with new ways and its connection with the professional area and the inquisitiveness and necessities of society, spheres in which, precisely, artificial intelligence has a great impact nowadays. Moreover, Elisava offers two masters on AI, the Master in Human Interaction and AI and the Master in Design for Responsible AI, which makes it one of the most qualified centers to carry out any studies regarding AI.
Part of this article has been written with the artificial intelligence chatbot application ChatGPT’s help.