Master’s Degree Beyond Product (s)
Awarded by UVic-UCC.
Master Beyond Products
The current social, economic and environmental circumstances demand a profound reflection on the products we use, how we use them and why. Our Master Beyond Products proposes a re-evaluation on raw materials, processes and technologies, logistics or even their purpose.
At a glance
Master’s Degree Beyond Product (s)
September to July
Access and admission requirements
Design graduates and professionals with experience. It is not essential to have a bachelor's degree to take this master’s degree; we value professional experience as much as college education.
The Master Beyond Products proposes a novel way to look at the product concept. By questioning the profession itself and encouraging students to challenge the established processes, we aim to have you develop your project methodology to help you improve the idea of «product» and help you start building a professional profile coherent with this direction.
The Master Beyond Products is aimed at designers and creatives of any field, with a sensitivity and knowledge of product design; nonconformists who understand the need to rethink and explore the possibilities of discipline beyond the established.
We go beyond products
We will question, map and explore products through three different perspectives:
Speculative design, art and design, anthropology, sociology.
Crafts and industry, new technologies, design through manufacture.
Context, sustainability, materials.
And through them, we will foster:
- Developing a critical spirit and dealing with design problems in their social context.
- Learning about new specific tools required by each field of work.
- Creating an identifiable work methodology.
- Incorporating perspectives from other disciplines (graphic, product, industrial, engineering…) into said work methodology.
- Working in a team with international professionals from different fields.
How we do it
We will work with you to transform your practice beyond by questioning, provoking and challenging the cultural, social, economic, technological or material establishment. The academic year will be established in three sections:
One-week long, disruptive workshops to get lost, resent and demolish our established design foundations, develop diverse experiences and perspectives, and help you question your design practice.
Intensive tutorial sessions where the students define a briefing for their final project and formalise it for a WIP show in mid-February. After determining their work fields, we will encourage design hubs to exhibit their thoughts and ideas and help to define the brief to face the last part of the Master Beyond Products.
Defining personal projects towards a Final Show presentation, participating in weekly mentoring sessions and weekly tool capsules. Specific project-specific and communicative tools will be given to each student to develop their methodology.
The final projects will reflect everything students will have unlearned and relearned and the steps they have followed to approach the product concept in their particular way. The itinerary proposes:
- Questioning pre-established knowledge to be able to approach groundbreaking design paradigms.
- When developing innovative products, knowing and understanding the current socio-economic and cultural context.
- Understanding product design as an attitude, a transformative tool impacting the current or future context.
- Researching in areas of personal interest to define the basis of a personal project.
- Studying and understanding different methodologies and systems from other disciplines and fields that can be involved in one transversal design process.
- Learning to design and develop projects in fictitious or future scenarios, to develop a critical and analytical methodology.
- Managing and efficiently capturing the results of the creative process and translating them into a solid objectification and conceptualisation.
Founder (Luis Eslava Studio) and Coordinator of the Product Area of the Undergraduate Degree in Design (Elisava)
Director (Jordi Canudas Studio) and Member (Okay Studio). Professor of the Undergraduate Degree in Design (Elisava).
- Lucas Muñoz, Founder (eStudio enPieza! and Lucas Muñoz Studio).
- Julia Lohmann, Professor of Contemporary Design (Aalto University), Director (Julia Lohmann Design Studio).
- Guillermo Santomà, Founder (Guillermo Santomà Studio).
- Raquel Quevedo, Creative Director (Raquel Quevedo Studio).
- Troika London (Eva Rucki, Conny Freyer, Sebastien Noel).
- Lolo&Sosaku, Design and art studio.
- Raw Edges, Design studio specialized in artistic installations.
- Martino Gamper, Product and Interior Designer and Founder (Martino Gamper Studio), Co-director (Editorial Dent-de-Leon).
- Marc Morro, Product Designer (Marc Morro Studio).
- Júlia Esqué, Product Designer (Júlia Esqué Studio).
- Tomás Alonso, Founder (Tomás Alonso Studio).
- El Último Grito, Design and art studio.
- Laura Benítez, Researcher (Ars Electronica and MACBA’s documentation centre).
- Darryl Matthews, Vice President (Nike Catalyst Footwear Design).
Find out the rest of the Masters Beyond.