Postgraduate in Retail Design. Design and Space: Shopping
Postgraduate Diploma in Retail Design. Design and Space: Shopping, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering.
From September to February (English edition).
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 10 a.m. to 2.15 p.m.
English and Spanish in two independent editions.
Year 2018-2019 (english edition): 5,950 € (plus 500 € in concept of registration fee).
• Graduates in Design, Fine Arts, or Communication.
• High level of Spanish (for the Spanish version) and English (for the English version)
• Basic knowledge of spatial representation in 2D and 3D.
How should we apply design to a commercial space? What should be taken into account when creating spaces for brands?
This master’s degree is designed for professionals who wish to acquire a complete knowledge on the field of retail design. However, within retail arena there are many disciplines we will cover you to in which you can develop with the utmost professionalism.
From small-scale and new formats to large-scale design, from boutiques to large multinational brands, we will explain how the differences are applied in each scenario, working directly with brands and briefings and getting great guest juries. Our guest companies are among other World Duty Free, IKEA, Swarovski and Vitra, among others.
Most areas are covered with theory and practice cases. Importance is given to the analysis and study of trends and innovation in the market and society to get a close-up view of the elements in designing a retail space arena (new formats, space, communication, flow, exhibition, virtual aspects, sensory perceptions, etc.). Art and analysis are the basis of any project and the concept and projection of space. We make every effort so students come away with the highest standards and ability to work with the most demanding companies in the market.
Postgraduate Diploma in Retail Design. Design and Space: Shopping
MODULE 1. GROUP CASE STUDY. STRATEGIC BRANDING
Course introduction and presentation. A journey through the branding world in large spaces.
- Case studies.
- Practical group work: development of a branded product.
- Practical group work: background and steps for developing a product.
- Practical group work.
- Group discussion: relevant aspects discovered by the student while carrying out the hands-on project.
MODULE 2. MARKET STRATEGIES AND PLANS / EXPANSION MODELS
- Market strategies and plans.
- Basis and concepts that define the market.
- Market plans and strategies.
- Case studies: analysis of examples.
- Market “scales”.
- Trends and models.
- Practical discussion session: future markets.
MODULE 3. CONCEPT DESIGN AND SHOWCASE IMPLEMENTATION / PROJECT WITH PARTNER COMPANY
- Project presentation and development.
- Project development and scheduled field trip (Essapunt visit).
- Presentation of project ideas.
- Project implementation in the real showcase.
MODULE 4. E-COMMERCE / COMMUNICATION TOOLS / VISUAL COMMUNICATION
- Graphics and Impressions.
- Communication tools.
- Visual communication.
- Web Commerce.
MODULE 5. ECO-LIGHTING
- Ecology in lighting.
- Trends and models.
- Tools for using eco-lighting.
MODULE 6. FINAL PROJECT
- Design and concept: how to stand out using marketing strategies.
- Layouts (circuits).
- Visual Merchandising.
- Lighting in shopping centres.
- Graphic art and visual communication.
- Construction materials and techniques.
- Analyse the role the retail sector plays in commercial strategy at all levels.
- Explore retail types, their various functions, how to deal with demand for them, the role they play in economic and social activity, and the future challenges this sector faces.
- Demonstrate and analyse the design process for the development of a retail space arena.
- Identify and apply social and market studies, and learn how to interpret and work with this information to obtain an ideal design.
- Create a complete project for the design of a major retail space with all the aspects that need to be taken into account to bring it to a good conclusion.
- Domain of the conceptualization and realization of window display.
- Domain of strategic branding tools related to Retail.
- Knowledge of strategies, market plans and models of expansion.
- Domain of visual communication tools.
- Knowledge of Retail applied to virtual commerce.
- Domain of different trends in eco-illumination.