Postgraduate in Innovation and Design Thinking
Postgraduate Diploma in Innovation and Design Thinking, degree awarded by the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering.
Jorge Hernán Rodríguez
From February to July.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, from 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Spanish and English groups (spanish groups: it’s essential to have and intermediate/advanced English level, since some materials, lectures and activities may be given in this language)
Two field trips are carried out during the Master. Students will travel and host in a European city during 5 days. Travel and stay expenses are not included in the enrollment
Year 2018-2019: 5,950 € (plus 500 € in concept of registration fee).
• University degree, BA diploma or equivalent or professional experience of at least one year.
• High level of Spanish (for the Spanish version) and English (for both versions)
• Motivation letter.
How can we know the changing and fluent needs of today's society? How can we improve the quality of life through design and innovation?
The master combines two very powerful disciplines in the innovation process: trend research and agile methodologies such as service design and design thinking. The programme is focused on providing the current tools related to qualitative and ethnographic research, interdisciplinarity and innovation, aimed at transformation processes applicable to society and industry.
We understand innovation as an approaching process to the satisfaction of real and changing user needs, in order to improve their quality of life through products, services, experiences and new tools. Old patterns are re-examined and re-evaluated and prototypes are being boldly created and designed based on a thorough research.
During the course we develop research projects related to companies and government, in three main areas: Corporate Innovation, Innovation for SMEs and Social Innovation. We have worked with real projects for Doctors Without Borders, Hewlett Packard, Artemide, Lékué, Telefónica, Cirque du Soleil, Nike, Barcelona City Council and ACCIÓ among others, as well as internal transformation projects such as La Biblioteca Enric Bricall library, Elisava Admissions System, MIDI Global Network, Elisava Alumni etc.
We collaborate with multiple collectives, groups, institutions and universities involved with innovation in Europe and Latin America such as Universidade de Lisboa, Rotterdam Business School, Ravensbourne College, HTW Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin, among others to strengthen networks and facilitate collaborations.
In each edition we do two field trips to European cities to explore trends, work schemes and user opinions, which allows us to achieve a wide spectrum of options regarding the innovation. We constantly carry out workshops and events that allow us to expand involvement around issues such as design and innovation in services, trends, innovation, strategy and design thinking.
INTRODUCTION AND CONTEXT
An overview of the Design Thinking world, the methods used and the key concepts. Making up work teams and project brief.
DT CENTRAL WORKSHOP
This is the collaborative venue where work teams pose, develop and apply the innovation proposals resulting from their research. Debate and experimentation space.
THEMATIC SEMINARS AND FORUMS
With professors, tutors and guest lecturers who offer technical and academic support to the work done in the central workshop and other workshops.
Focused on specific areas of Design Thinking processes, they help students to develop their skills in designing services, experiences, prototypes, tests and co-creation activities. These workshops are hosted by guest lecturers, groups and practitioners in the innovation sector.
They help students to understand the networks among innovation, production and business, from the client’s point of view.
INTRODUCTION TO DESIGN THINKING
Allows students to connect research skills with collaborative and innovative thought philosophies.
Tutored by the programme teaching staff and by the managers of the firms associated with MIDI.
- Train researchers with the ability to create and participate in innovation and development processes.
- Offer professionals not linked to design tools that complement their training in scientific, technical and humanistic fields, to enhance their professional profile and opportunities.
- Offer professionals linked to design a space for interaction with other agents of innovation processes in order to work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Addressing innovation in a broad sense, including its technological, social, creative, productive and business plans aspects.
- Encourage the creation of spaces and events of exchange and collaboration between all the agents linked to innovation processes, service design and strategy scenarios.
- Facilitate the exploration of new services, systems, products, strategies and experiences for organizations, companies and governments through real projects linked to innovation.
- Online and offline research methodologies and tools management, and fieldwork.
- Knowledge of trend analysis.
- Empathy and creative thinking.
- Viability in innovation projects, development of plans and innovation strategies
- Consulting in innovation, design of services, design thinking, systems thinking and agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of team management, account management and project management.
- Public speaking ability.
Management and teaching staff