Postgraduate in Design and Communication Strategies
Postgraduate Diploma in Design and Communication Strategies, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering.
From September to February.
Master’s Degree in Design and Art Direction: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 5 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
Master’s Degree in Advertising Design and Communication: Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 5 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
Year 2018-2019: 4,900 € (plus 500 € in concept of registration fee).
• Graduates in Graphic Design, Audiovisual Communication, Communication and Advertising, Fine Arts, etc.
• Professional profiles related to photography, art, fashion, illustration, etc.
• Professionals with accredited experience in the field.
• Proven professional experience.
• High level of Spanish.
• Submission of a portfolio.
The need to convince and sell in an increasingly global, competitive and visually noisy market requires new highly creative advertising proposals. In this context, the designer and the creator figures gain a decisive importance at the moment of generating persuasive messages, both in the public and in the private sphere. Advertising needs professionals who master the mechanisms and languages of visual communication and new media to achieve the objectives of companies and institutions, thus generating relevant conversations between brands and consumers. The advertising graphics, the spot, the branded content, the interactive advertising and new media are shown as highly persuasive and effective resources that must be known and mastered.
This course aims to transfer theoretical, methodological and practical knowledge, while working on the student's analytical capacity and promoting creativity in each project, with the objective of training effective, critical and competitive advertising specialists.
Postgraduate Diploma in Design and Communication Strategies
The structure of the Postgraduate Diploma in Design and Communication Strategies is based on the following four subject areas:
1. Communication and context
Theoretical framework that establishes the main concepts and the context for the analysis and the proposal of creative solutions.
- Communication theory. Semiotics and communication.
- Fundamental principles of human communication.
- The strategic dimension of communication.
- The persuasive dimension of communication.
- An ethnographic look at communication.
- Companies’ communication requirements.
- Strategic communication in public administration.
- Strategy in personal presentations.
2. The multiple languages of design. Languages, supports and channels.
Theoretical framework and creative praxis of graphic communication from the point of view of its ability to produce and convey messages that add value to organizations on the basis of a planned strategy.
- Design and communication.
- Languages, supports and channels.
- Aesthetics and style in graphic communication.
- Resources of visual communication
- Transmedia communication
- Social Media
3. Analysis and strategy
In this context, the various media available to perform an action are studied: traditional media and new digital supports. Students are provided with tools to analyze and plan campaigns, such as comprehensive marketing and strategic planning.
- Analysis and strategy
- Environment analysis
- Segmentation and targets
- Corporate strategy: branding and CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility).
- Communication strategy and strategic planning.
- PAID: investment in advertising media.
- OWNED: definition of brand assets and digital presence.
- EARNED: definition of PR and social media management.
4. A project is a journey. Hourglass method.
Acquisition of project methodology. Being able to combine all these disciplines and media effectively in a communication project, with the aim to position a brand, sell a product or spread a social action.
- Project theory of design. Prefiguration
- Spiral project method
- Chart. Diagrams for management
- Project strategy, stages, planning and dynamics.
- Efficiency of public presentations
5. Final project
Realization of a tutored final project whose aim is to acquire project methodology, so that it includes the contents and tools conveyed during the course, such as the preparation of the student for carrying out complex projects efficiently.
- Project tutorials and workshops.
- Script and dramatic resources for the presentation of projects.
- Provide students with a competitive professional profile that incorporates the latest trends in communication and global marketing into their praxis.
- Enhance creativity as a factor of differentiation and positioning, for organisations in both the public and private sectors.
- Train new professionals with a strategic vision and thinking towards communication and design, to achieve real and efficient solutions to the problems raised.
- Offer designers and communication professionals the possibility of integrating the knowledge acquired in a professional practice from the perspective of design.
- Create a training framework that integrates the latest user-centred design research criteria with the current practice of the advertising activity.
- Train effective, critical and competitive advertising specialists.
- Develop their own creative abilities and apply them to communication projects for both companies and institutions to communicate brands, products or services.
- Develop various creative methods that work as a starting point for disruptive projects in the field of advertising with a clear persuasive will.
- Incorporate strategic planning as a step to define the value proposal, transform it into a creative concept and develop it into an efficient communicative action.
- Ability to explore and analyse the business world, know their communication needs and develop creative skills to solve them in certain situations.
- Ability to create transmedia communicative mechanisms after analysing and defining the needs, motivations and ideals of the users.
- Ability to elaborate one’s reflective thoughts born of one’s projectual activity and to defend them in front of the community of practice with discernment and conviction.
- Ability to propose and develop creative concepts for the brand territories creation.
- Identify the three semionarrative levels of the canonical narrative and apply them in the persuasive communication world.
- Distinguish and clearly identify the three brain levels, from which thoughts and ideas that shape the behaviour before the purchase act are created.
- Discern between the several attributes: appropriation, simulation, impurity, fusion, spectacle, ephemeral, artifice and eroticism to apply them in advertising projects.