Master in Packaging Design
Master’s Degree in Packaging, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering.
Two editions per year starting in September and February.
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
From 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Two independent editions, one in Spanish and the other one in English
9.400 € (plus 500 € registration fee)
• University degree or university graduate degree in graphic design, product design or product engineering.
• Professional experience that can be accredited
• In addition, in general, it will be required to:
- Have a high level of Spanish, both of understanding, speaking and writing for the Spanish course.
- Have a high level of English, both of understanding, speaking and writing for the English course.
- The candidate must be an efficient and autonomous person in the use of graphic design software.
How can we communicate the attributes of a product through its packaging? How can we take advantage of packaging as an opportunity to add meaning to the product?
In a market in continuous expansion, packaging requires professionals with the ability to communicate, both formally and graphically, the attributes of a product. Designing a package today means contributing to the market products that seduce for their communication language and products that are thought with social awareness and environmental responsibility. This master offers the right tools to conceptualize and develop comprehensive packaging projects, with the aim of training specialized designers in this discipline.
The programme focuses on both graphic design and packaging structural design, not from a technical point of view, but from its form and communication. It offers a unique opportunity to work alongside the most recognized packaging designers in each sector and learn their work methodology to achieve an optimal and professional result.
The final objective is to provide the participants, through practical workshops and theoretical capsules, with the necessary knowledge to create and develop a product from the point of view of strategy and branding, detect the client’s needs and propose the solution, design and execution of any packaging project.
A minimum of 12 practical cases of different nature and category are resolved in the course of the master’s degree: from gourmet packaging to high consumption packaging, from redesign to the creation of new packaging. Concepts such as eco-design and innovation are introduced to create more efficient and sustainable packaging that promotes the good design and optimal use of materials.
- Delve into the discipline of packaging, its history and new trends, and know how society and consumers influence packaging solutions.
- Provide the students with the necessary theoretical/practical instruments to carry out and present a packaging project: naming creation, lettering and applied typography, art direction and presentation techniques.
- Know the lines that strategists and designers follow to achieve a successful product, acquire a solid theoretical branding base and know how a product is created and developed from the point of view of marketing.
- Put into practice the knowledge acquired through the analysis, planning, design and execution of packaging projects. Detect the client’s needs and create a packaging that responds to the different sectors’ demands. Learn to create more efficient and sustainable packaging that promotes the good design and optimal use of materials.
- To provide the student with specific knowledge in the materials used by the packaging industry: packaging creation systems, prepress and printing, quality controls and identify the different existing types of packaging and their possibilities.
- Know the factors that determine the production and selection of a packaging for a specific product and the role that the selection of a certain type of packaging can play in a product.
- Ability to develop a comprehensive packaging project, both graphic and structural, in all its phases:
- Initial phase: Basic notions about branding and strategy. Generation of the initial project approach briefing
- Brand development phase: Naming generation and brand creation. Ability to structure a packaging architecture.
- Packaging design phase: Command of the design projects formalisation, both graphically and structurally, applied to different sectors or needs:
- FMCG packaging
- Cosmetic packaging (healthcare)
- Gourmet-food packaging
- Redesign packaging
- Wine packaging
- Packaging to take-away
- Luxury products packaging
- E-commerce packaging
- Creations of mock-ups and final artworks phase: Basic concepts for the development of mock-ups in volume (foam) and cardboard. Basic notions to carry out the final artworks development for reproduction.
- Development of complementary tools to a packaging project. Strategic tools such as branding, marketing and neuromarketing; design tools, such as microtypography and typographic composition; or general tools such as aesthetics, packaging history...
- Development of technical knowledge regarding materials, printing systems and sustainability criteria.
- Command of the language needed to present a project and to communicate with the different agents involved in the process.
Management and teaching staff