Under the motto "Impact Through Design", ELISAVA and the network Cumulus Design (International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media), organized a structured activity around a series of workshops and conferences with the participation of 31 deans and design experts from the most important and prestigious design and art schools, universities and institutions from all around the world.
This activity has been carried out in April 2018 and its general objective has been to promote research through design worldwide, through the introduction of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in design syllabus and research.
In addition to the aforementioned schools, companies such as Roca, Ikea, Hewlett-Packard or Adidas; technology centers and institutions such as Eurecat, LEITAT or the Barcelona City Council, addressed the role of design in the current challenges.
The specific objectives have been:
- To address together how design impacts our society.
- To promote the inclusion of design institutions on the political agenda to achieve the development of UN SDGs.
- To promote education in design through the introduction of the UN objectives for sustainable development in design curricula and in research in design, about design and for design.
As a result of two days of analysis and workshops, a letter was created collaboratively to describe how design is a key agent in the achievement of the UN Nation Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).
Letter to the UN and the European Commission
The letter written as a result of the International Days for Deans and Design Experts is as follows:
In light of the societal, economic and environmental challenges all our societies are facing today, the participants in the International Days of Deans and Design Experts call on our institutions to:
- Take action now to publically support the achievement of the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through design as an agent of change.
- Recognize and amplify best existing practices that align with the UN SDG goals.
- Encourage and support faculty, students, collaborating partners and stakeholders to work together towards the SDG goals through curricula, research, advocacy and development.
We, the undersigned, offer our leadership and efforts to create events and platforms to make this commitment tangible and visible in the next twelve months.
- Luigi Ferrara GEORGE BROWN UNIVERSITY (Toronto, Canada)
- Nabil Harfoush OCAD (Toronto, Canada)
- Sune Stassen OPEN DESIGN TNL (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Al Pay Er OZYEĞIN UNIVERSITY (OZU) (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Marie-Louise Bowallius KONSTFACK (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Magnus Lindfors KONSTFACK (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Chele Esteve UNIVERSIDAD POLITÉCNICA DE VALENCIA and UNIVERSIDAD NEBRIJA (Valencia, Spain)
- Lorraine Patricia Gamman CENTRAL SAINT MARTINS (London, United Kingdom)
- Adam Victor John Thorpe CENTRAL SAINT MARTINS (London, United Kingdom)
- Maria Göransdotter UMEÅ INSTITUTE OF DESIGN (Umeå, Sweden)
- Arianna Mazzeo ELISAVA BARCELONA SCHOOL OF DESIGN AND ENGINEERING (Barcelona, Spain)
- Albert Fuster ELISAVA BARCELONA SCHOOL OF DESIGN AND ENGINEERING (Barcelona, Spain)
- Javier Peña ELISAVA BARCELONA SCHOOL OF DESIGN AND ENGINEERING (Barcelona, Spain)
- Satu Miettinen UNIVERSITY OF LAPLAND (Rovaniemi, Finland)
- Roger Bateman SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY (Sheffield, United Kingdom)
- Christian Guellerin L’ECOLE DESIGN NANTES ATLANTIQUE (Nantes, France)
- Lou Yongqi TONGJI UNIVERSITY (Shanghai, China)
- Lorenzo Imbesi LA SAPIENZA UNIVERSITY OF ROME (Rome, Italy)
- Eija Salmi CUMULUS International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media, and AALTO UNIVERSITY (Helsinki, Finland)
- Liesbeth Huybrechts HASSELT UNIVERSITY (Hasselt, Belgium)
- Terry Irwin CARNEGIE MELLON SCHOOL OF DESIGN (Pennsylvania, USA)
- Luisa Collina POLITECNICO DI MILANO (Milan, Italy)
- Ezio Manzini POLITECNICO DI MILANO (Milan, Italy)
- Chris Csíkszentmihályi MADEIRA INTERACTIVE TECHNOLOGIES INSTITUTE (Madeira, Portugal)
- Eduardo Staszowski PARSONS SCHOOL OF DESIGN (New York, USA)
- Loredana Di Lucchio LA SAPIENZA UNIVERSITY OF ROME (Rome, Italy)
- Pradyumna Vyas NID NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF DESIGN (Ahmedebad, India)
- Gwen Farrelly RISD GLOBAL (Rhode Island, USA)
- Elsebeth Gerner Nielsen DESIGNSKOLEN KOLDING (Kolding, Denmark)
- Lin-Lin Chen EINDHOVEN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (TUE) (Eindhoven, The Netherlands)
- Lara Penin PARSONS SCHOOL OF DESIGN (New York, USA)
- Monica Contreras RYERSON UNIVERSITY (Toronto, Canada)